Peter and I had an idea to make a deck of cards featuring Monster Pin-Up Girls! Great idea, right? So the goal is to post a new pin-up girl once or twice a week on my tumblr blog and at the end of the year we should have enough to make a deck of cards. Thats the plan.
Here's the current design for the back of the cards.
On November 15, I am sleeping on the street and experiencing homelessness for just one night to show homeless youth that they are not alone. Also, to practice for my own future homelessness, when my wife kicks me out. It's more likely than you might think, especially when you learn that she found out about this the same way YOU did, by mass email. She might be reading this right now, with her pretty blue eyes narrowing and steam coming out her delicate ears. How I love my wife!
Anyway, I have often felt an affinity for our homeless brethren. Why, I would be one of them, if I didn't have a home! This was recently very nearly the case, as my house was foreclosed on and I had to get out. I am fortunate that I was able to find a tiny little apartment that I can barely afford, many people are not so lucky. If you are reading this and you happen to be my landlord, I'm just kidding! I have lots of money, really.
I am asking you to help by supporting my efforts with a donation. It is faster and easier than ever to support this great cause - you can make your tax-deductible donation online by simply clicking on the link at the bottom of this message. If you prefer, you can also send your gift check made out to Covenant House to me at the address listed below.
Investors Bank Attn: Peter Timony 1260 Springfield Ave. New Providence, NJ 07974
Any amount, great or small, makes a difference. I greatly appreciate your support and will keep you posted on my progress.
For those of you who've asked, I had my new art book printed at Ka-Blam.com, and I can't recommend them enough! They offer a quality product, highly competitive rates and the best customer service around.
For aspiring artists: I do enjoy looking at portfolios at conventions and offering critiques, but I have to say, I think its better to bring a printed comic book than a portfolio for a number of reasons.
1. Portability. They're easy to carry and you can give them away. Everybody loves comics, and most people at cons will accept and even read a free comic book.
2. Storytelling skills. Too many portfolios are filled with pretty pinups. Thats great, but people who hire artists will focus on your storytelling. Having a comic highlights this skill.
3. Follow through. Many artists are easily distracted types who lack the discipline to finish a project. Show potential employers that you can see a project through to the end by giving them a complete comic book.
4. Learn by doing. You don't become a quality cartoonist by taking expensive classes (although that does help). You become a quality cartoonist by working every day. Draw a whole comic book and have it printed. This shows people that you're not pretending to be a comics artist. You ARE a comics artist with tangible results to your efforts.
5. Its cheap. With all the quality P.O.D. places out there (like Ka-Blam), with no minimum print runs, having a professionally printed book is easier and more affordable than ever.
I'm pleased to announce that this October Goblin Hood will be appearing on the excellent comics app Double Feature.
For those who don't know, Double Feature is a great comics app where you can buy two 8 page comics for a buck! The comics are grouped by genre and come with author commentary and the ability to view the art in several stages of production. Or, if you don't have the iPad, you can get it as a DRM free PDF.
Goblin Hood is an 8 page story designed to introduce the characters and setting of Goblin Hood. I truly hope you all enjoy it. Here's a little preview for you.
Hey everyone! Please take a moment to read this new short story written by Seth Kushner and illustrated by me. Its pretty different from some of the other stuff I've drawn, but it was fun to stretch my comics muscles in a new direction. The comic appears on Trip City. Click on the image to read it. Thanks!
Slices of Flesh, our collection of horror flash fiction, is cutting a nice pathway towards its final destination.
This cool collection of short tales is scheduled for launch early next year at the World Horror Convention. WHC 2012 will be taking place March 29th - April 1, 2012 in Salt Lake City. The Bram Stoker award ceremonies will be taking place at the 2012 WHC as well.
Dark Moon has signed on dozens of great horror writers and are adding new names to the list every week.
Submissions to this anthology are now closed.
Net proceeds from this book go to charity. (Our number one target is Project Literacy.)